Today has been a really busy day at IFA 214. A slew of Android devices were announced including wearables. ASUS, the ever popular laptop and tablet maker, unveiled the ZenWatch, an Android-Wear powered smartwatch. And it does really look different when compared to the other smartwatches such as the Gear Live or the G Watch.
The ZenWatch comes wrapped in a multi-layered stainless steel body with rounded corners. Its AMOLED display measures 1.63 inches and has a resolution of 320 x 320. It sports a 1.2GHz Qualcomm Snapdragon 400 processor (like the G Watch R), 512MB of RAM, 4GB of internal storage, Bluetooth 4.0, heart rate monitor, 9 Axis Sensor ,Bio sensor, 1.4Wh battery and IP55 certification for water resistance.
Unlike its direct competitors, the ZenWatch will come pre-loaded with features and ASUS’ own ZenUI. You can unlock your devices by simply tapping on the watch’s face, muting it by putting your hands on it, remote camera operation and more. Here is the list (taken from ASUS)
Fine Watch Craftsmanship
- Exquisitely-crafted using premium materials
- Sophisticated design enhanced by rose gold color layering
- Genuine stitched-leather watchband and quick-release clasp design
- 100+ combination watch face choices to fit your mood and personality
- Vivid AMOLED display and Corning® Gorilla® Glass 3
- Seamless ASUS ZenUI integration and enhanced functionality
- Automatically unlock your phone with ASUS ZenWatch
- Tap Tap and Find My Phone helps you locate your phone instantly if misplaced
- Simply cover ASUS ZenWatch with your hand to mute an incoming call
- ASUS Remote Camera frees users to take photos from creative angles where the viewfinder would be difficult to see.
- Presentation Control enables ZenWatch to be used as a remote control and time manager when giving a business presentation or lecture
- Monitor and track a range of health-related statistics with the ASUS Wellness app
- Measures steps taken, calories burned, activity duration, heart rate, exercise intensity and relaxation level
- View an easy-to-understand relaxation score based on relaxation-level measurements
ASUS says the price of the ZenWatch is set at €199 ($260). It will be released sometimes before the end of 2014.