As it was announced yesterday at Google I/O, Verizon Xoom tablets are set to receive the OTA Android 3.1 update on their tablets. Motorola officially announced it today doing a press release. This update will allow Verizon Xoom tablet owners to:
- Support the new movie rental feature in the Android Market
- Have full support for Flash 10.2
- Resize their widgets
- Support USB-connected peripherals and accessories like keyboards, mice, game controllers and digital cameras
- Use Bluetooth headsets on video chat sessions on Google Talk
- Enable the Picture Transfer Protocol feature to allow smooth transfer to a PC without the need for drivers
Motorola XOOM users on the Verizon Wireless network will soon be able to rent movies, use a Bluetooth® headset during video chats, resize their widgets and more with an over-the-air software update for Android™ 3.1 (Honeycomb) that makes the Motorola XOOM experience even more powerful than before.
If you are an owner for the Wi-fi version of the Motorola Xoom, you will probably have to wait a bit longer as the the update will hit your Xooms in the upcoming weeks. Otherwise, the OTA Android 3.1 update will “roll” out this week for the “4G” version of the Motorola Xoom. You can also check the Motorola Xoom support forums for more info about the update and other tips.
Hit the break for the press release.
Android 3.1 (Honeycomb) Software Update, Coming First to Motorola XOOM™, Delivers Support for Android Market Movie Rentals and Numerous Other Enhancements
Over-the-air software update rolling out this week to Motorola XOOM tablets on Verizon Wireless
Motorola XOOM users on the Verizon Wireless network will soon be able to rent movies, use a Bluetooth® headset during video chats, resize their widgets and more with an over-the-air software update for Android™ 3.1 (Honeycomb) that makes the Motorola XOOM experience even more powerful than before. The software update, coming first to Motorola XOOM and rolling out this week, delivers a wide range of new features and expanded functionality, including:
* Support for the new Android Market movie rentals service with thousands of titles available for immediate viewing on the Motorola XOOM’s high-resolution display or on a larger screen via HDMI
* Full support for the final release of Adobe® Flash® Player 10.2, delivering significant performance enhancements when viewing rich Flash content on the web
* Resizable widgets to enable further customization of home screens
* Support for USB-connected peripherals and accessories, such as keyboards, mice, game controllers and digital cameras
* Expanded Bluetooth features to support Bluetooth headsets in Google Talk™ video chats and Bluetooth mouse support in addition to additional shortcut keys with the Bluetooth keyboard
* Picture Transfer Protocol Feature support to enable easier transfer of photo files to your PC without the need for drivers
Motorola XOOM with Wi-Fi tablets and other variants of Motorola XOOM will receive the update within the next several weeks. If users have questions or need support, they can visit www.motorola.com/myxoom or www.motorola.com/support, or get help from other owners on our online community at https://supportforums.motorola.com.
Certain features, services and applications are network dependent and may not be available in all areas; additional terms, conditions and/or charges may apply. Specific functionality and features with each software version of Android may vary. Contact your service provider for details.
MOTOROLA and the Stylized M Logo are trademarks or registered trademarks of Motorola Trademark Holdings, LLC. Android, Google, Google Talk, and Android Market are trademarks of Google, Inc. Adobe and Adobe Flash are trademarks of Adobe Systems Incorporated in the United States and other countries. All other trademarks are the property of their respective owners. © 2011 Motorola Mobility, Inc. All rights reserved.
Media Contacts (for media and analysts only):
* Kira Golin
Motorola Mobility, Inc.