Samsung announced earlier today the release of their newest flagships headsets, the Galaxy S8 and Galaxy S8+. Both phones are pretty similar in terms of specs except for the screen size (and ppi) and battery size. I had the chance to attend the Unpacked event and spent some time with both phones. I was, and still am, impressed with how nice and premium both phones are. The display is really that nice guys. It’s crisp, colorful and is the nicest one I have seen in a Galaxy phone. I also found some things to be puzzling at the time of the hands-on, especially the “Bixby” assistant and its dedicated button. So here are my thoughts which I am going to list as positives and negatives.
- The 5.8-inch and 6.2-inch Infinity Super AMOLED displays are stunning. You’d need to see them in person.
- The bezel-less design is attractive
- The 12MP rear camera with F1.7 paired with an 8MP front camera is pretty much the same found on the S7 which is a GOOD and SAFE choice.
- 3.5mm headphone jack – Trade in that iPhone lol
- 64GB of internal storage
- MicroSD support up to 256GB
- Gigabit LTE and gigabit Wi-Fi ready
- Wireless Charging
- 3,500 mAh battery for the S8+
- Out of the box available storage is around 50GB – around 14.5GB used by the system (see Gallery). That’s 21% people. Dang!
- Android 7.0 with Samsung’s UI on top is meh. There was no mention of Android during the presentation. Samsung has worked hard to mask all most of Google’s apps including its assistant.
- Bixby is trying hard to imitate Google Now and Google Assistant. Bixby has its own button which I’m hoping can be used for another app.
- Fingerprint location on the back near the camera is a bit awkward. Fingerprint reader is so-so.
- The back cover is a fingerprint magnet
- Not sure if the 3,000 mAh battery will be able to last a while. Keep in mind, the 5.8-inch display of the S8 which has 41ppi than the S8+ (570ppi>529ppi)
Having spent close to an hour with both phones, I’d that is not enough to form a concrete opinion about them. I will definitely update my findings once I have both in house for the full review. Have questions? Drop me a line below!