Droid X2 owners, there’s some good news for you. Verizon is getting ready to release Gingerbread, Android 2.3 for your brand new Droid X2. The update will give you Gingerbread and also provide several improvements for your DX2. Add this time, you just have to relax and wait for the update to hit your phone. Once it’s available, simply update to get the following enhancements, along with Gingerbread:
- Download Manager App: New App to manage all of your downloads from web browsing, email attachments and other apps.
- Multi-Touch Key-Chording: New ability to enter numbers and symbols with keyboard shortcut combos, instead of having to change to the numeric keyboard mode.
- Improved Word Selection and Copy Functionality: New capability to select a word via press-hold. A second press of the selected word copies the selected characters.
- New User Interface and Color Scheme: New widgets, icons and screens with refreshed colors.
- Security: Added Device and SD Card encryption. VPN enhancements integrate IPSec VPN clients into device security settings.
- Updated Calendar Options:
- Display Calendar and event times in your home time zone when traveling.
- Dismiss individual reminders, such as dismissing one meeting reminder without dismissing other meeting reminders.
- Easy conference dialing – simply dial and automatically enter a conference code directly from your Calendar.
- Google Books is now preloaded.
- Geo-tagging features available for camera applications.
Other improvements that you will see once updating your Droid X2 to Gingerbread include the following:
- Improvements in screen display reduce screen locking up and turning black.
- HDMI indicator clears if cable is connected and an application is started.
- No longer receive duplicate SMS messages.
- After Mobile Directory Number (MDN) change, device no longer performs data reset.
- On the home screen, icons and widgets display properly.
- Fixed interruption when unlocking device.
- Improved stability reduces device resets.
- Correct device battery percentage is displayed.
- VZ Navigator works simultaneously with Wi-Fi.
- Easily subscribe or cancel a subscription to Visual Voice Mail.
- Home tray icons can be customized.
- When device is placed in car dock, device no longer plays loud sound.
- Enhanced User Interface provides improved screen transitions.
- Receive MMS sound notifications while on a call.
- Addition of Vibrate icon.
Droid X2 Gingerbread update information (click to enlarge)
Once the update is complete, the software version on your Droid X2 should be MB870.Verizon.en.US and you should be rocking the latest and greatest. For more information on the update, head over to the Droid X2 software update page on Verizon.com