The Kiwkset Kevo is a Bluetooth enabled deadbolt which you can control with your phone using a proprietary app. It launched last year offering compatibility to iOS devices only. Thankfully, the folks at Kwikset wanted to share the love with Android users.
Today, they introduced the Kevo Android app which is still in beta and only compatible with devices running Android 5.0 Lollipop and higher. You can head to the Play Store and grab it. Of course you need to buy the hardware which you can get at your local Home Depot, Amazon or from Kwikset.
Once you have it installed and with the help of the Kevo app, you can tap the lock and send eKeys to guests to gain access to your home. In addition, Kevo sports a positioning technology which “detects whether an authorized user is inside or outside of the home before granting access, to help prevent unauthorized entry.” For more information, hit the Play Store link and press release below.
[pb-app-box pname=’com.unikey.kevo’ name=’Kevo Beta’ theme=’discover’ lang=’en’]
Kwikset Expands Kevo Compatibility To Android Users With Beta App
Android Lollipop users can download the beta Kevo app today on Google Play
LAKE FOREST, Calif., Dec. 18, 2014 /PRNewswire/ — Kwikset®, the leader in residential door hardware, introduces Android™ compatibility to the breakthrough Kevo™ smart lock. Consumers with Android 5.0 Lollipop (L) software on supported devices can download the beta Kevo app on the Google Play store to experience Kevo’s functionality.
Android L customers can now download and use the beta Kevo app to experience Kevo, while Kwikset continues to enhance the performance and functionality of the official app. Android L devices are the first from Android that fully support Bluetooth® Smart peripheral mode, which is needed for Kevo compatibility. Bluetooth Smart technology ensures a low energy, seamless connection from the Kevo deadbolt to authorized devices. Since Kevo’s launch, Kwikset and technology partner, UniKey Technologies, Inc., have worked to develop a compatible app that gives Android users the complete smart lock experience.
“We’re excited to expand Kevo smart lock compatibility to the large Android fan base with the public beta program,” said Greg Williamson, chief marketing officer, Hardware and Home Improvement, Spectrum Brands.
All Android customers with Google’s new Android L devices, Nexus 6 phone and Nexus 9 tablet, can download the beta Kevo app today on the Google Play store. Android L users can experience key features of Kevo, including:
- Touch-to-open convenience – No more fumbling for keys, simply touch the lock to open with your authorized Android device in your purse or pocket to open the door.
- eKey management – Send or delete electronic keys (eKeys) from the beta Kevo app to grant or revoke access from your smartphone at any time.
- Guest, Anytime and Scheduled eKeys – Guest eKeys allow users to give recipients access to the home for a 24-hour period, while Anytime eKeys give guests unrestricted access and Scheduled eKeys let users set day and time restraints for someone who needs regular, pre-determined access.
- History Log – A history of the lock’s activity may be viewed through the Kevo mobile app. The history log provides the times and dates that eKeys were sent and received as we as well eKey holders locked and unlocked the door for ultimate peace of mind.
- Inside / Outside technology – Kevo offers patent-pending positioning technology that detects whether an authorized user is inside or outside of the home before granting access, to help prevent unauthorized entry.
Through customer feedback to the beta experience, Kwikset will be able to implement all Kevo app features for the official Android app launch.
“As more devices become Bluetooth Smart compatible, Kwikset is committed to giving all consumers the chance to enjoy Kevo’s convenience and ability to manage home security from their smartphones,” said Williamson.
Visit Kwikset at International CES at Tech West, Sands Expo booth #71021 to demonstrate the beta Kevo app on Nexus 6 devices. For more information about the beta Kevo app testing program and compatible devices, please visit http://kwikset.com/kevo.