Independent investigation determines that exploding Galaxy S III caused by external energy source (microwave)

Independent investigation determines that exploding Galaxy S III caused by external energy source

Remember that Samsung Galaxy S III that a user reported exploded while in his car? Turns out, it was all a lie, a big lie! Samsung went ahead and contracted Fire Investigations UK (FIUK) to conduct an investigation on the “exploding” Galaxy S III so that they could find out exactly what caused the accident.

According to the result from the investigation, the energy source that damaged the phone didn’t come from the phone itself. FIUK states that “The energy source responsible for generating the heat has been determined as external to the device…the device was not responsible for the cause of the fire“.

According to the Fire Investigation Report, the device was most-likely damaged by a domestic microwave.

“The only way it was possible to produce damage similar to the damage recorded within the owner’s damaged device was to place the devices or component parts within a domestic microwave.”

Boards.ie forum user dillo2k10 even went back on the forum to post a follow, and basically admitted that he made the entire story up. According to his post, the damage to the Galaxy S III was caused by another person after the phone suffered some water damage. Based on the FIUK, it appears as if the phone was placed in a microwave (to dry) after suffering water damage.

dillo2k10 posted the following on boards.ie:

I would like to retract my original statement. The damage to the phone was caused by another person, although they were attempting to recover the phone from water this later caused the damage shown on the phone. It occurred due to a large amount of external energy and there was no fault with the phone. This was not a deliberate act but a stupid mistake.

I am unable to comment any further.

So there you go. If you have a Galaxy S III, it won’t explode on you randomly. In the future, if you drop your phone in water, don’t microwave it to try to dry it off. Give it some time to dry it, blow dry it from a distance, place it in a big bowl of rice. Whatever you do, don’t microwave it. If you do end up microwaving it, don’t post pictures online and make up some crazy lie about how the phone is possibly dangerous, because it isn’t.

Check out the file report from the FIUK below and feel free to comment.

Source: Samsung Tomorrow

Leave a Reply

comment-avatar

*