The wait for Gingerbread on the Samsung Epic 4G is finally over. Sprint has announced that starting today, the Epic 4G will finally saying goodbye to Froyo and hello to Gingerbread. In addition to receiving Android 2.3 Gingerbread, the update also brings the following fixes and enhancements:
- Upgrade of the Google OS from Froyo to Gingerbread (Android 2.3)
- Audible Sprint AIRAVE™ notifications when answering call
- SMS messages sent without area code
- PRL and Profile update
- EAS (Exchange Activesync) email displaying HTML
- Bluetooth headset sound improvements
- Fully visible date on device lock screen
There’s nothing special for you to do in order to receive the update. Once your device downloads it completely, you will be prompted to update. If you don’t feel like waiting, you can manually update your Epic 4G Touch to Gingerbread by following the simple instructions below.
How to manually update Epic 4G to Gingerbread
If you don’t feel like waiting for the update to hit your phone, you can do so manually. It will involve you manually downloading the update from Google and forcing your phone to update. To update the Epic 4G to Gingerbread, do the following:
- Manually download the update from Google
- Rename the file to update.zip
- Place the update.zip file in the root of your SD card
- Turn off your phone and power it back up by holding down the volume down and camera button and pressing on the power button
- Once the phone powers up, the update should automatically start. Once the update is complete, reboot your phone and you’re good to go!